March 28, 2020, 04:49 pm

Author Topic: "Admin Disrespect" is *NOT* a valid kick or ban reason.  (Read 6646 times)

Offline Lexi

• Supporter
  • ByB Rookie
    • View Profile
"Admin Disrespect" is *NOT* a valid kick or ban reason.
« on: November 03, 2012, 05:46 pm »
This message is mainly directed at our admins, but is here for exposure. If you are not an admin, feel free to skim or skip the topic.

Over the past few days with the influx of new admins, I've seen quite lot of kicks/bans for "Admin Disrespect". I want to make it quite clear that someone calling you an idiot because you noclipped into their base (or similar) is not grounds for any form of punishment.
As an admin, you must not let anything anyone says to you on the server get to you. If you find yourself unable to stay calm, you must call for another admin (using /a) and have them deal with the situation.
Obviously, if someone is continuously swearing at you or ignoring your warnings, you can and should punish them.
However, your justification for any and all actions must be comprehensive and full. You cannot say "He was disrespecting me" and expect that to cover everything. "Disrespect" is not a reason to do anything. "Disrespect" is request for an on-the-spot admin warning.
Remember that you are an admin in order to help the players, not so that you can lord it over the peons.
Thank you.

Quick Summary:

Reasons why you might punish someone
  • Repeatedly swearing after having been warned not to
  • Refusing to listen to you when you are warning/punishing them
  • Spamming OOC with offensive messages
  • Sending offensive PMs
Reasons why you might get an admin warning
  • You used the word "disrespect" in a ban reason
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:40 pm by Lexi »

Offline Shinigami

• ByB Champion
    • View Profile
Re: "Admin Disrespect" is *NOT* a valid kick or ban reason.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 11:04 pm »
I don't agree with this.

So if someone comes up to me and completely goes off on me saying "You're a f**king b**ch and you deserve to die go kill yourself" and after I slay him he comes back and does it, I can't kick him for disrespect? And if I kicked him with the reason "Continued disrespect towards me. Second warning" I would get an admin warning? I mean is that seriously acceptable behavior? And what if he's doing it to another player? I mean I have a long chain, names don't bother me, but still it doesn't justify their words.

I don't agree with that. I do agree with the part of "You stupid admin because you no clipped into my base". That's not grounds for "disrespect".

I don't like the "You used the word "disrespect" in a ban reason" idea. If someone is going around disrespecting everyone and calling them everyname in the book and I deal with it, I could get an admin warning? What?
Well if somebody says that to you, I'd either ignore them or slay them and if they keep on doing it even after the slay it's fine to take it further and kick the user for repeated insults after being warned.

It's just that lots of admins seem to kick and ban players when being called an idiot or something like that, which isn't justified unless it's serious.

Offline Shikari

• Root of all Evil
  • ByB Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 11:06 pm »
It's also because "disrespect" is a very broad/vague reason, we want people to be specific as it makes things easier for us.

Offline Lexi

• Supporter
  • ByB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 11:15 pm »
I don't agree with this.

So if someone comes up to me and completely goes off on me saying "You're a f**king b**ch and you deserve to die go kill yourself" and after I slay him he comes back and does it, I can't kick him for disrespect? And if I kicked him with the reason "Continued disrespect towards me. Second warning" I would get an admin warning? I mean is that seriously acceptable behavior? And what if he's doing it to another player? I mean I have a long chain, names don't bother me, but still it doesn't justify their words.

I actually covered this in the post. The existing rules about offensive behavior, swearing and such are still fully in effect and you can quite legitimately kick/ban that person for a) Being offensive and b) ignoring warnings.
However, you must state that they were using offensive language and ignoring your warnings in the ban reason.
"Disrespect" is such a broad and tenuous definition that you might as well just ban someone for "did something I didn't like"

Offline Littledood

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 01:33 am »
Oh goody, I'm glad this has been made official. I don't like punishing people for "disrespect" unless they are breaking other rules by doing so. Like cursing in an OOC conversation.

Offline Ravenz

• ByB Fanatic
  • Have cognition before ignition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 01:43 am »
I am glad it's a rule too. I was just confused when first reading it but now it makes all the sense.

**Removed my previous messages due to my general misunderstanding of Lexi's original post. My apologies.**
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 11:55 pm by Ravenz »

Offline ByB-Nitro

• Supporter
  • ByB Newbie
  • Cookies are like cars they like Car Wash
    • View Profile
    • Mah Youtbe
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 06:53 pm »
I kicked one to day. It all started with that he keept braking nlr and i slayed him. after that i tryd to talk to him he keept telling me i where a retard and that the servers where cheap and lagy and that he did not care about any rules. He also keept calling me a smeger and that i where a stupid kid and that i should leave. after i kicked him an admin keept complaining that i could not kick a player for admin disrespect.  :'(
Sometimes i like to Airplane

Offline Bandicoot

• Super Admin
  • ByB Fanatic
  • Doot for deer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 05:15 pm »
I kick people to give them "Time-Out" sessions sometimes, maybe ban them for half an hour but Only if it's clear that they are not in the state of mind to play nicely with others or refusing to calm down.

The closet I come to punishing for disrespect is if they're spamming abuse at me, in which case a mute seems to do the kick trick.

Offline Alex_2259

• ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 05:24 pm »
well if someone does some RDH (Random Hating) in reg. chat it gives u an RP reason to crossbow them. right?

Offline f34rY

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
  • RP#1 Rulez! No Candy Coating,just the harsh truth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 06:08 pm »
well if someone does some RDH (Random Hating) in reg. chat it gives u an RP reason to crossbow them. right?

Dat necrobump. only 4 month...
ねだるな、勝ち取れ、さすれば与えられん。
"Don't beg for it, earn it. Then it will be granted to you"

Inactive

Offline Khan

• ByB Novice
  • I am stuck in the cycles of my guilt....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 08:07 pm »
Gotta pull out the lock stick
In my final days of existence, I wish not to see the sights that are testament to man, but rather I would give everything if I could ever briefly, leave this planet and see Earth as a astronaut does. Only then I could I begin to truly attempt to comprehend our insignificance as a species.

Offline Deon

• ByB Champion
  • http://i.imgur.com/wdaqqTQ.gif
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 10:16 pm »
I am currently not as active and available. Before you send me a PM, feel free to send one to other active root administrators as well in hopes for a quicker response! Active root administrators can be found here.