July 23, 2019, 10:02 am

Author Topic: [AMD] FM2+ AM3+ or wait  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Alex_2259

• ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
[AMD] FM2+ AM3+ or wait
« on: April 25, 2015, 08:50 pm »
Before you say it, no I will not go to Intel, they offer great CPUs but I don't see it practical when I can get a more powerful AMD for the same price (in most cases) AMD also does socket changes less.

I bought an FM2+ motherboard and an FM2 CPU, they costed hardly anything, just something cheap for entry level gaming. However, for the future I was wondering if I should stick with FM2+, I heard AMD will be making more CPUs for that socket, or go to AM3+. On a google search, I have heard both, I also heard AMD might be making a new socket soon, which waiting would be more practical.

It is also hard to find an AM3+ Motherboard with PCI 3 at a good price.

Thanks

Offline Lexi's Inferior

• Super Admin
  • ByB Fanatic
  • I'm back, I guess.
    • View Profile
Re: [AMD] FM2+ AM3+ or wait
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 08:56 pm »
http://www.novatech.co.uk/search.html?s=am3%20&c=554,&m=0
Though it's a UK site you can find stuff there and then find them where you are.
And make sure you have good cooling if you get any of the Pile-driver line unless you want a free toaster.

Offline olicool11

• Root of all Evil
  • ByB Fanatic
  • TEM NAMLEJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 09:52 pm »
Id strongly urge you to reconsider not going intel, the realistic situation is yes, whilst a top line amd processor is cheaper than a i7 it is not cheaper an an i5 which in all but the most highly threaded gaming situations will still out perform it (Id say just ask jelman as he did this but hes forum banned...)

The large difference between the two is that you can get a 8 cored AMD for slightly more than the price of A non ht 4core intel, however intel vastly outperform AMD on single threaded basis, which even current games still favour. This will hopefully start to change soon but until that point there is little point getting a great deal more cores/threads for gaming purpose.

With regards to the socket changes intel tends to change every 2 years which I will admit could be highly annoying if you plan on frequently changing processor but honestly for the large part do you really change processor and keep the same motherboard/system? I really doubt it.

In any sense if you are heart sunk on going for AMD wait until they have concreted their plans for new processors. As it stands they have only announced APU's which means if they intend to release new CPUs they may skip this year or move to a new socket. Basically if you don't need to upgrade badly, then wait till there is more information on what they plan on doing next.

Offline StupidWeasel

• Supporter
  • ByB Champion
    • View Profile
    • Moustaches through the ages: A Historial Account of Facial Hair
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 10:34 pm »
Before you say it, no I will not go to Intel, they offer great CPUs but I don't see it practical when I can gessimulart a more powerful AMD for the same price (in most cases) AMD also does socket changes less.
If you're thinking about power purely as raw Mhz/Ghz, then you're thinking about things in the wrong way. Use a site like CpuBenchmark to give a bit more of a feel for the actual performance of certain processors compared to others. Having a look at comparative reviews is also a good idea, most will include test results similar to the kind of tests PassMark use with their benchmarking (compression, decompression, encryption etc..) as well as other useful tests such as affect on application launching time (though these days, you only seemingly see that with handheld reviews).

With Intel you are indeed paying a fair chunk more. You may wish to wait until Skylake releases (estimated this summer) and pick up a Broadwell processor & motherboard once the prices drop. Typically, Intel ticks are more stable & perform better then tocks (after all the whole tick/tock idea is about refinement), so it's not a bad idea based on that alone. A decent setup will see you through to the next tick (or beyond, if you're a stingy bugger like me).

Semi-idle, checking in every few days, contacting another root might be quicker.

Offline Bouchiekins

• Supporter
  • ByB Champion
  • Ohai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 11:26 pm »
As Oli and Weasel have said, don't just pass on Intel.

Here's one of the only Benchmark-tools/websites I trust: http://anandtech.com/bench/CPU/39
CPUBenchmark seems awfully fake/bribed.

For most games an i5 will do better than the top AMD CPU's simply because of single thread performance.
Not too many games make good use of many cores (yet) and even when they do, I don't see AMD surpassing Intel.

Offline Alex_2259

• ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 12:54 am »
As Oli and Weasel have said, don't just pass on Intel.

Here's one of the only Benchmark-tools/websites I trust: http://anandtech.com/bench/CPU/39
CPUBenchmark seems awfully fake/bribed.

For most games an i5 will do better than the top AMD CPU's simply because of single thread performance.
Not too many games make good use of many cores (yet) and even when they do, I don't see AMD surpassing Intel.

I may just take up on that offer
This
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157501&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Intel+Motherboards-_-N82E16813157501&gclid=CjwKEAjw9uypBRD5pMDYtsKxvXcSJACcb9AYhSdKiSjf5sDjQ_oEDz60ycRbiSwKk4OqQ6uncUTB5xoCIubw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

With this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116991&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Processors+-+Desktops-_-N82E16819116991&gclid=CjwKEAjw9uypBRD5pMDYtsKxvXcSJACcb9AYOYWkIBnwsdDZ0qz-WGSgp3zxPnvpyATfXPhKQ7nR7RoC317w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I can also go with this, since I don't care for overclocking too much, or any of the other features the better MoBo has.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132070

Only like $370 total, and I can put in an I7 if I feel necessary down the line. The motherboard also has PCI 3.0 for more upgrading down the line.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 12:58 am by Alex_2259 »

Offline olicool11

• Root of all Evil
  • ByB Fanatic
  • TEM NAMLEJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 12:30 pm »
Dont really have time to look into it hugely at the moment but at a glace the first two would be a very good base, the second board is a slightly older generation (z87 not z97) but would still work I believe? Just the newer mobos tend to have a few more features and some of the bugs worked out of them.

I find it very unlikely you will need an i7 to be honest, Ive had a i5 3570k for the last 2 years and its still as bulletproof in games as it was to start with, no way near being a bottlenecking point yet :) although yes, if in the future you decide its necessary then it will fit fine.

Offline Conor

• Root of all Evil
  • ByB Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 08:12 pm »
I find it very unlikely you will need an i7 to be honest, Ive had a i5 3570k for the last 2 years and its still as bulletproof in games as it was to start with, no way near being a bottlenecking point yet :) although yes, if in the future you decide its necessary then it will fit fine.

Would like to add that I'm still using my first generation Intel Core i5 760 in my PC. In terms of performance, it is running Grand Theft Auto 5 perfectly, although I am running on fairly low settings due to my aging graphics card.

Offline BludyLuigi

• ByB Rookie
  • Left ByB
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 01:57 am »

Would like to add that I'm still using my first generation Intel Core i5 760 in my PC. In terms of performance, it is running Grand Theft Auto 5 perfectly, although I am running on fairly low settings due to my aging graphics card.

Same cpu as you and I have a 750 ti. Runs GTA 5 at low settings at 1080p fine at 60fps, although even this looks better than the console version.