April 06, 2020, 11:21 pm

Author Topic: OC Issue  (Read 3402 times)

Offline BludyLuigi

• ByB Rookie
  • Left ByB
    • View Profile
OC Issue
« on: May 02, 2015, 03:44 am »
So basically I got bored today and tried overclocking my ram via my bios (intel motherboard) so I set it from 1333 to 1600 mhz, save the settings, reset the computer, it starts to turn back on, but it just turns back off and repeats about every 5 seconds until it says it failed to start, then I went back to bios and changed it back to 1333 and it booted up fine. Any suggestions?

Offline Jamie

• Supporter
  • ByB Novice
    • View Profile
Re: OC Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 04:00 am »
change it to 1337

Offline Ginny Weasley

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
  • I'm not here. Sod off.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 08:48 am »
Not an expert on overclocking by any means, but it would possibly seem you're pushing your components too far. Overclocking is exactly what it says on the tin - pushing a component's clock speed over the normal limits in order to get better performance. Now, part manufacturers don't just put limits on parts to spite you - they're intended as a level at which parts are expected to operate without any problems. Start pushing past that limit and you get issues, such as yours.

Overclocking isn't anything like as simple as setting a speed up to the next common interval that you see on out-of-the-box products. Those parts are rated and designed to accommodate the higher clock speeds whereas yours aren't necessarily so powerful. It's always (in my opinion) better to take each overclock as a personal statement. Don't ever think "His RAM/CPU/GPU/other component does that so mine can too".

In short, what you've done is whacked your RAM's speed up to 20% higher than its normal, safe level (20.0300075019% to be a little more precise) without any kind of support. So naturally, your RAM is gonna nope the smeg outta there, hence why it started crashing.

If you want to overclock, do it slowly. Take the time to do it properly, doing gradual increases and stress tests. Oh, and you can often void your warranty by overclocking as you are, as I said, intentionally ignoring the manufacturer's limits. Remember, if everything were easy to overclock without issues... our computers would all be better.

Offline Tuckz

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 12:02 pm »
There's no point overclocking the RAM it won't do anything noticeable.

Offline olicool11

• Root of all Evil
  • ByB Fanatic
  • TEM NAMLEJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 01:59 pm »
Firstly as tuckz said, don't bother it will make little difference. Second, the fact it won't boot means you have set the frequency higher than the ram can handle in the current config hence why it worked when you changed to back down.

TL;DR don't oc your ram

Offline BludyLuigi

• ByB Rookie
  • Left ByB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 03:58 pm »
Well that's pretty odd that 1333 is the limit because it's corsair vengeance ram that's supposed to go way higher than 1333 but if it won't make a difference I guess I won't bother.

Offline olicool11

• Root of all Evil
  • ByB Fanatic
  • TEM NAMLEJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 04:18 pm »
well what is its official rated mhz? because if its official stated mhz is 1333mhz then no, its not meant to go higher...

Offline Ginny Weasley

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
  • I'm not here. Sod off.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 04:18 pm »
Corsair Vengeance is a product line, not a single product. Some are set at 1333MHz, some at much higher. They're different specifications belonging to the same Vengeance brand.

Offline Leonard Potato

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
  • Insert clever text here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 11:44 pm »
exactly this, and I don't recommend getting into OC'ing if you are not sure what you are doing.

Offline StupidWeasel

• Supporter
  • ByB Champion
    • View Profile
    • Moustaches through the ages: A Historial Account of Facial Hair
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 12:55 am »
Despite how easy it is to do (what with pretty much every chipset allowing you to tweak settings from software now, rather then bios), overclocking should generally still be seen as a pasttime for hobbyists thing in my opinion. Reducing the lifespan of your hardware, sometimes rather dramatically, for the sake of a couple of percent better performance? Absolutely abhorrent if you're as stingy as me.

FunnyClaps

Offline olicool11

• Root of all Evil
  • ByB Fanatic
  • TEM NAMLEJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 05:17 pm »
It depends what you overclock to be fair, for example I don't overclock my ram as I saw no difference performancewise when I did but my CPU has a 800mhz overclock which actually makes a significant difference. In my case though I still have it at stock voltages and Its got a beefy heatsink so shouldn't get too hot in which case the life span shouldn't be dramatically effected. As far as I understand the problems start to happen if your running your hardware overvolted or hotter than it normally would be.

Offline Leonard Potato

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
  • Insert clever text here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 04:27 pm »
It depends what you overclock to be fair, for example I don't overclock my ram as I saw no difference performancewise when I did but my CPU has a 800mhz overclock which actually makes a significant difference. In my case though I still have it at stock voltages and Its got a beefy heatsink so shouldn't get too hot in which case the life span shouldn't be dramatically effected. As far as I understand the problems start to happen if your running your hardware overvolted or hotter than it normally would be.

Specs? Including heatsink.

Offline olicool11

• Root of all Evil
  • ByB Fanatic
  • TEM NAMLEJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 05:24 pm »
MSI Z77A-G43 , i5 [email protected] with a Noctua NH-D14, Powercolour PCS+ Myst 7870 (Taheti LE) (soon to be replaced with an Asus DirectCUII r9 290x), 120gb Crucial M4, 240gb Crucial MX500, 500gb Seagate Barracuda, 2Tb Seagate Barracuda, Corsair 200R, XFX 550W PSU and 4x4gb 1600mhz crucial ballistix sport ram