March 28, 2020, 06:03 pm

Poll

Should this suggestions be added?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Voting system  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Leonard Potato

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
  • Insert clever text here!
    • View Profile
Voting system
« on: June 06, 2015, 07:51 pm »
When a non-supporter wants to be a cop, he has to make a vote and more often than not they fail.
There is almost always a group afk at spawn, they don't vote, the time runs out, I assume that counts as a no vote if it doesn't this suggestion is useless.
If the voting window closes before a choice is made it should be a yes or not counted at all.

Offline StupidWeasel

• Supporter
  • ByB Champion
    • View Profile
    • Moustaches through the ages: A Historial Account of Facial Hair
Re: Voting system
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 08:39 pm »
I assume that counts as a no vote if it doesn't this suggestion is useless.
It does not count as a no vote, however the number of votes cast needs to be more than the number of no votes. If nobody votes at all (which can happen when players are afk or otherwise occupied), then the vote fails. If even a single person casts a yes vote, and nobody votes no, the vote will succeed.

FunnyClaps

Offline Leonard Potato

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 08:54 pm »
Then could you lower the threshold a bit?

Offline StupidWeasel

• Supporter
  • ByB Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 08:57 pm »
What threshold?

FunnyClaps

Offline Leonard Potato

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 10:29 pm »
What threshold?
That is required to pass the vote.

Offline StupidWeasel

• Supporter
  • ByB Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 10:36 pm »
I'm still not sure I get you, you're saying you want yes votes to be worth more then no votes? How would that be a fair system? If 50% or more of the server population who bothered to vote decide that a player should not be a {job}, then that seems fair to me.

FunnyClaps

Offline Leonard Potato

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 10:47 pm »
I'm still not sure I get you, you're saying you want yes votes to be worth more then no votes? How would that be a fair system? If 50% or more of the server population who bothered to vote decide that a player should not be a {job}, then that seems fair to me.
People often vote no for no reason at all. Someone joins, tries to become a cop, after a few minutes of spamming votes they leave.
So I guess yes, I want yes votes to be worth more since you gain nothing from voting yes if you are basing and farming printers.

For example:
If I am trying to printerfarm in peace and someone wants to be a cop, I would vote no because that would not help me at all.

Right now the voting system is deeply flawed and this could be a change for the better, if it is worse, we can always reverse it. No harm done.

Offline StupidWeasel

• Supporter
  • ByB Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 10:29 am »
It's a balancing act. The police jobs are some of the most powerful jobs on the server.  They have a magical glowstick that can be very easily misused. They run faster, or as fast in the case of Master Thief, then every other job. They have easy access to weapons & are able to instantly buy ammo anywhere on the map. This is balanced out by the job being one of only two jobs that require regular players to be voted into the role.

We could probably have the vote default to yes if nobody at all has voted, but that'd require a nasty rewrite of the entire voting system as - at the moment - the same system is used for every type of voting with no way to differentiate.

Edit: Figured out a disgusting hacky way to do the above without rewriting anything major, job votes where nobody votes will now default to yes.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:59 pm by StupidWeasel »

FunnyClaps