April 06, 2020, 05:55 am

Author Topic: An Elastic Clause  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Gabriel Mundy

• ByB Newbie
    • View Profile
An Elastic Clause
« on: July 14, 2015, 10:34 pm »
Type: Add
Info: We ought to add a clause in the MOTD that, finally, puts RP in its rightful place as more important than the rules.  After all, the rules are meant to preserve RP.  One large step in this direction would be to get admins to ignore certain building infractions so long as they do not interfere with RP.  For example, I could build a hobo town in the town square without a super+'s permission.  After all, the town square is not an oft-used area, and having a hobo town there could present some interesting RP scenarios.  What this would not allow players to do is to build impenetrable super-bases with 9 keypads.
Reason for suggestion: The MOTD is designed for exactly one reason and one reason only: to allow for a fun, fair, and unique RP experience for all players.  When the MOTD presents an obstacle to the creation of new RP experiences, it is the MOTD, not the experiences, that ought to be amended. 
Suggestion as to what should be added specifically in the MOTD (What the MOTD should say):
"In effort to preserve RP and to allow a more flexible RP experience, admins should not enforce certain building rules unless the infractions give an unfair advantage to certain players or a disadvantage to others."
Pros: This will allow more flexibility for the RP experience and, quite frankly, more fun.
Cons: It might be too much change all at once.  Might kill somebody.
Other Info:  This may seem like a very radical change.  The culture of ByB puts the fun below the rules, which, quite frankly, is a poor place to be.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:36 pm by Gabriel Mundy »

Offline Deluxe

• ByB Champion
    • View Profile
Re: An Elastic Clause
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 12:43 am »
Not a fan of this. -support.

Peace love and positvity.

Offline Godfrey Carthage

• Supporter
  • ByB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • i dont have a website
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 01:17 am »
Absolutely unacceptable. Would ruin what makes ByB what it is.

-Support

Offline StupidWeasel

• Supporter
  • ByB Champion
    • View Profile
    • Moustaches through the ages: A Historial Account of Facial Hair
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 01:26 am »
After all, the rules are meant to preserve RP --snip-- The MOTD is designed for exactly one reason and one reason only: to allow for a fun, fair, and unique RP experience for all players.
This is not quite true, server stability is also very important focal point of the rules. Many of the more serious rules (inc some building rules) are in place with this in mind, rather then there to control/limit roleplay.

Another problem with allowing roleplay to take precedence over the rules is that the "worth" of a players roleplay is very subjective. What one player might think is a superduper awesome idea that fully justifies rule bending, another may absolutely loath. The rules are an attempt to make certain things clear cut, with superadmins being able to give a nod for anything more adventurous.

FunnyClaps

Offline Gabriel Mundy

• ByB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 02:29 am »
server stability is also very important focal point of the rules.
1. And the reason we need server stability is because, without it, there would be no roleplay, and server rules that are non-negotiable to prevent client and server lag would be marked as such.  No matter which way you cut it, the main purpose all goes back to allowing fun and fair RP. 
Well, I suppose the ultimate reason is to get Pantho paid, but that's business
2. This clause forces admins to make no judgement about whether or not RP is "worth", only whether or not it is interfering with the RP of others.  If it isn't, there is no practical reason to stop them.  If it is, they ought to be stopped.
3. Would you other two gentlemen elaborate?  I'd appreciate some more valid criticism.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:32 am by Gabriel Mundy »

Offline StupidWeasel

• Supporter
  • ByB Champion
    • View Profile
    • Moustaches through the ages: A Historial Account of Facial Hair
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 06:54 am »
No matter which way you cut it, the main purpose all goes back to allowing fun and fair RP.
Yes, and that's the purpose of every rule in the motd. There are no rules in there aimed at preventing "fun and fair RP". Some rules in there might prevent some players some of the time, but just because you disagree with the building rules, say, does not mean they're purposefully put in there to stifle roleplay.

If you believe an individual rule is a problem or is too heavy handed, creating a thread in this forum and presenting your argument as to why it should be changed is the correct way to handle things. Giving players/admins the ability to ignore the rules, providing they can pull a roleplay reason out of their ass, is not the way to encourage rich & rewarding roleplay.

FunnyClaps

Offline Gabriel Mundy

• ByB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 10:11 am »
I understand, Weasel, the purpose of the rules.  That is why I made this thread.  Once again, admins need make no judgement on whether or not an RP situation is valid, fun, or otherwise worth it.  They only need figure out if this particular instance is obstructing others.
Finally, if anyone would like to come up with a scenario that I deem reasonable in which this rule would cause misery, I will gladly stfu and lock this thread.

Offline Rock'n Roll Glue

• ByB Champion
  • Taking over the world by murdering the innocent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 11:25 am »
As much as I enjoy great RP, we have such a strict rule set for a reason, and it's simply because we've had several encounters with people who decides to misuse the system to do general annoyance to the rest of the player base. 

Let us take a hobo town for instance. Before it was actually quite common for people to make hobo towns or separate towns. Not a big problem itself, but the aftermath is usually a lot of RDM, NLR, metagame and general whining in ooc.
Normally I say it's okay to do something as long as everyone thinks it's a fun experience(hint: it's rarely fun for everyone).

Second of all, there's a lot of admins in the system, I wouldn't trust to judge whether or not the construction is good enough for rp to simply ignore, even though the construction is technically illegal.

Sadly, the minority destroys it for the majority.

Offline Gabriel Mundy

• ByB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 01:38 pm »
While I still feel as though there would be some way somewhere to implement something similar, I've grown bored of defending this idea.  Thank you Weasel and Rock'n Roll Glue for being gentlemen about it.
I'll lock it in the meantime.  GG