August 21, 2019, 08:32 pm

Author Topic: [Tutorial] Game speedboost  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Freddie

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
[Tutorial] Game speedboost
« on: August 28, 2016, 03:15 am »
Install the workshop addons:
Hit 'F4', click the 'Workshop' tab and subscribe to all. When server addons update, this means your client should hopefully have already downloaded them so you will join servers faster.

Also, I believe this maybe placebo, but I feel like maybe some verification step is skipped, as I now join the server faster after subscribing to the addons...?

Clean your game:
Navigate to here:
Steam>Library>Right click gmod>Properties>Local files>Browse local files

I now suggest you delete the 'garrysmod' folder. BE WARNED: This contains files like all your E2s, maybe some addon settings and any addons you manually installed.

However, I found that over my many years of playing GMod, this folder had taken up more than 50GB of space on my drive, with loads of old files from 100s of servers, junky stuff and logs and generally unwanted stuff.  This also made my game run a HUGE amount better. I joined servers faster, got a MUCH higher FPS and the game also booted up much faster and I lost all signs of menu lag!

If you do choose to delete this (and maybe backup some files first like E2s or addons), when you run GMod it should be recreated. If not, you will need to verify the game cache with steam. To do this, follow these steps:
Steam>Library>Right click gmod>Properties>Local files>Verify integrity of game cache...

Prevent alt+tab 10 second black screen, lag and crashes:
Simply navigate here:
Steam>Library>Right click gmod>Properties>Set launch options...

Now add this code:
Code: [Select]
-windowed -noborder
What this does is make the game run in a windowed mode rather than full screen, so you can switch windows without it needing to re-render when you return to gmod. Disabling the border will make the application go fullscreen without the windows titlebar or box showing, so the game will look exactly as it did before, but it should perform a hell of a lot better when switching windows.

Some people also claim windowed mode has a slight FPS boosting effect too!

Those are all my tips. If you have any corrections, suggestions or additions please comment! There are extra options out there to get even better performance, like whole lists on console commands in config files to execute but these were the most effective ways I found of getting a significantly better game performance without reducing any visuals.

Offline Smiley

• Supporter
  • ByB Novice
  • eh
    • View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Game speedboost
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 10:13 pm »
You can also try enabling multicore rendering by using this command: gmod_mcore_test 1

This gives me atlease 20 fps boost :)

Offline Jelman

• Super Admin
  • ByB Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 11:38 pm »
You can also try enabling multicore rendering by using this command: gmod_mcore_test 1

Full mcore beta commands are

gmod_mcore_test 1; mat_queue_mode -1; cl_threaded_bone_setup 1

Just paste that into your autoexec or bind it to a key as it has to be run every time you launch the game

AutoMerge: August 29, 2016, 11:55 pm
Also pantho was planning on adding a button in the f4 menu that ran the multicore commands for you
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:55 pm by Jelman »

His Grace Snoop of House Dogg, first in his name; Kushleesi; The Unblazed; Brother of Green Dragon Sativas; embarks on a quest to reclaim Weedsteros

Offline olicool11

• Root of all Evil
  • ByB Fanatic
  • TEM NAMLEJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 07:55 pm »

Full mcore beta commands are

gmod_mcore_test 1; mat_queue_mode -1; cl_threaded_bone_setup 1

Just paste that into your autoexec or bind it to a key as it has to be run every time you launch the game

AutoMerge: August 29, 2016, 11:55 pm
Also pantho was planning on adding a button in the f4 menu that ran the multicore commands for you

QUICK DISCLAIMER- This may crash you game although if it doesn't it is very worthwhile, I believe it is if you use integrated graphics it tends to crash?

Offline Smiley

• Supporter
  • ByB Novice
  • eh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 02:31 pm »
I have never crashed using this, so probably something to do with integrated graphics.