October 24, 2019, 02:50 am

Author Topic: Many different suggestions/clarifications  (Read 620 times)

Offline xXLarryNewmanXx

• ByB Newbie
  • The Genius of Accounting
    • View Profile
Many different suggestions/clarifications
« on: March 31, 2017, 01:23 am »
Many of these are about base rules, so lets start there.

If someone makes the first door of their base their garage, is this technically part of their raiding entrance because they are forcing the raider to crack the garage keypad before being able to enter the real raiding entrance?

Also about the kidnapper, some people run out in the middle of the street and hit someone with their bludgeon. This doesn't sound like someone that's a loner and a weirdo. Of course if their potential victim is standing alone on a sidewalk, that's a place where anyone would get kidnapped. But some people run into the street and try to kidnap someone in mid daylight. Just curious if this is allowed or even practical.

Now onto E2's in bases. Are people allowed to have automatic alarm systems that activate when keypads are actively being cracked? Not just that, but E2's that automatically have the player call 911 when someone is raiding/actively cracking their keypad.

Do shooting windows have to be transparent? The only thing regarding this in the motd is "It must be obvious whether the window is open or closed (textures, for example, should be at least 130 alpha)" which explains that it must be obvious if it's opened or closed. There's nothing against it so I haven't been able to tell for sure if it's allowed.

Do shooting windows have to be parallel to the raiding entrance? I've noticed a few people using diagonal shooting windows. This fits the size requirements, but it will allow the defender to only have a single raider vulnerable at a time, which allows them to kill them while they're cracking the keypad. Usually there's two or more raiders, which are the shooters. If there's only one raider visible, the others cannot shoot the defender when only one raider is visible.

Are cameras allowed while being operated by the numpad? I don't see any tool that allows us to utilize in-game screens to make it realistic, while instead being able to see through the cameras wherever you are on the map. Mainly I'm writing this to decide if it's an in character thing and you are able to react upon what you see, or if it's an out of character thing and you aren't able to react upon what you see while operating the cameras.

Last but not least, what are you ALLOWED to do while you're kidnapped? Call the police? Build? PM Someone? Try to demote the Kidnapper for "Social Rejection?"

Now onto the rule modifications.

Type: Add
Info: Requiring players to build in their base or do something related to roleplay within 5/10 minutes of owning their doors.
Reason for suggestion: Just tonight when I was walking through the map, I came online to work on one of my bases, and I was heading to the building where it was and the doors were owned by someone for almost a half an hour before I was finally able to get him to sell them. The building was being utilized for absolutely nothing from the time I logged on, until the time I got him to sell the doors for me.
Suggestion as to what should be added specifically in the MOTD (What the MOTD should say): "If you purchase doors to a building, you must start using the building within 10 minutes of purchasing the doors."
Pros: Allows people to be able to save time, prevents useless door ownership.
Cons: Really nothing that I can think of.

Info: Police/SWAT are able to return to the scene of a Bank Robbery a total limit of three times per Bank Robbery.
Reason for suggestion: Realistically when there is a bank robbery, there are seemingly infinite police officers/swat officers there to try and stop the thieves. Police should have a limited NLR time when it comes to the bank, as in waiting outside before being able to go in. The thieves must stay in the bank anyway, so after a police officer/swat officer dies, they must wait outside the bank for a minute or two before trying again. A limit of three times per bank robbery should be enforced because it would seem more balanced that way to increase the amount of Police. Gangs are way overpowered in the meanwhile, and having a hard balance like this would prevent them from getting away with lots of money very easily.
Suggestion as to what should be added specifically in the MOTD (What the MOTD should say): "Police/SWAT are allowed three chances, per officer, at stopping the thieves from robbing the bank."
Pros: Will create a strong balance counteracting the bank robbers, easy to check death messages within the logs.
Cons: None that I can think of.

Info: This one should go under the Administrative Rules Section.
Reason for suggestion: This is becoming a problem among administrators on the server.
Suggestion as to what should be added specifically in the MOTD (What the MOTD should say): "You may only punish for things listed in the MOTD."
Pros: Will prevent mods from punishing players based on what they think is illegal. Will have to require root/super clarifications to be listed in the MOTD before being put into effect, so all players have a fair chance at satisfying the requirements/expectations set forth.
Cons: Will unfortunately stop people from making up rules because "a super said it."

Offline Tschudy

• Super Admin
  • ByB Champion
  • Tuh-Shoo-Dee
    • View Profile
Re: Many different suggestions/clarifications
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 04:05 am »
1. I suppose any lockable doors could be considered part of one's raid entrance.  However you, don't actually need to crack them in order to get in.  Thieves, Master Thieves, and Resistance operatives all carry a lockpick (in addition to their keypad crackers) that can be used to open world doors.

2. It is allowed, though its generally a bad idea to do so, especially if there are police nearby.  The relatively short timer on the bludgeon often limits a kidnapper's usable territory so they may very well need to choose a riskier target if they're going to get anything done.

3. We don't have any hard rule on this one and I can't find a recent ruling on it but it would make sense for an e2 to automatically call the police (since the tech for that has been around a long time).  Of course if the person is away from home, all its going to do is send the police on a wild goose chase.

4. This was another one left to common sense, unfortunately.  Yes, they gonna need to be transparent.

5. While a shooting window need not necessarily be parallel to the entrance, it DOES still need to wide enough for both raiders to shoot back.  I'll probably have to go in-game and whip up a quick visual aid to work on this one.

6. Common rule on this seems to state that it is legit.  A reasonable comparison are the more high-dollar security systems that let you check your camera's from a smartphone app.

7. Rules for kidnappers are something that seems to keep getting ignored (I too would like to see SOME kind of ruling made on them by the roots).  While it stands to reason that a kidnapper would liberate an individual of all communication devices, we still apparently allow things like PM to be used while in jail for IC purposes so it stands to reason the same could be done for kidnapped victims.  You probably couldn't build due to rules about building on another's property.  But demoting them would definitely be off the table.

Rule Mods:

1. It would need a section protecting landlords and kidnapping victims but I can dig a rule like this.

2. NLR is 5 minutes.  The Bank Robbery timer is 8.  The officers who arrive quickly on the scene already have a max of 2 chances to repel the robbers.  That is enough.

3. This one get s REALLY Murky, especially considering items that are considered "common sense" (which we all know isn't that common) and items which have necessitated a clarification on the forums but havent warranted a change to the MOTD.
DO NOT send me a friend request unless you are a super or above.  I'm done folks!

Offline StupidWeasel

• Supporter
  • ByB Champion
    • View Profile
    • Moustaches through the ages: A Historial Account of Facial Hair
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 05:58 am »
Tschudy has missed the mark a couple of times there. So let's clear this up a little.

1- Player made garages can't be part of raid entrances, both the garage  and base rules already make this clear (the first explicitly stating: Your player built garage may not be part of your raid entrance)

2- See Tschudy above.

3- Alarms that are tripped/activated by just walking into an area must be clearly marked out or labelled with a sign. It has to be obvious the area is alarmed. Alarms that are triggered by the raid door fading (ie: once successfully cracked) don't need to be marked in any way. Details have to be kept vague. No naming players, teams or anything like that.

4- Alpha == transparency. We probably need to add an upper bound to that rule, though completely solid shooting windows are fine as long as they're a different colour /clearly shooting windows.

5- "Both of them should be able to crack the keypad and shoot back if standing up, just in case there is a window.". If the placement of the window means both raiders in the 2x1 area can't shoot back, it's an invalid raid entrance.

6- Yep this is fine. To make it represented in the world there is a material that displays the clients camera output and a couple of props that do too, all core gmod behaviour.

7- The kidnapper job needs some loving really, the way it works now is... It doesn't. Adjusting the job to make more supported by code is on our to do list, for now you'll either have to suffer it as it is or we remove it.

Now for your suggestions.

1- Nope. Players (with the exception of landlords) may only own one building. If they own the building you want, may own buildings as their job, and are not using it? Tough. Feel free to offer to buy the doors from them. Supers+ may intervene on a case by case basis and force sell, but usage rules won't be added to the motd.

2- If you can't organise as a force and take down thieves then they deserve that easy money. The majority of the time were talking about a normal world building with no defences (no banker playing), swat are built for this and have the advantage due to damage reduction. Make use of grenades.

3- If players feel they've been unfairly punished, they can make an admin abuse ticket. The issue will be investigated and, if the admin is enforcing non-existent rules, they'll receive an admin warning and a ban. The motd cannot (and should not be expected to) cover every possible rulebreak and variation. It needs less bloat, not more.

FunnyClaps

Offline xXLarryNewmanXx

• ByB Newbie
  • The Genius of Accounting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 07:05 pm »
Thank you both for clarifying the content in question.

Just one more addition. About police and a bank robbery. Since the timer on the vault lasts 8 minutes, are police/swat allowed to come back after dying once, after 5 minutes, or must they wait until a new 'event' occurs that tips them off about an active bank robbery?

Offline Tschudy

• Super Admin
  • ByB Champion
  • Tuh-Shoo-Dee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 07:20 pm »
They'd still need to know about it.  Gunfire, alarms, and police radio chatter are generally good enough.
DO NOT send me a friend request unless you are a super or above.  I'm done folks!