March 28, 2020, 05:20 pm

Author Topic: Live Wires for a Dead Community  (Read 4937 times)

Offline BlueNova

• Super Admin
  • ByB Fanatic
  • I like smegposting and music.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Live Wires for a Dead Community
« on: February 18, 2018, 11:13 pm »
Evening everyone, it's Blue and I'll skip the formalities and head straight into the meat and potatoes of this post.

Let's bring back ByB. Let's take the joke behind this topic and actually make it happen and give it another go.

So yes, I want us to try and bring ByB back. And I know I'm not alone in this. Before writing up this post I spoke to roughly 15 people and 12 of them gave me a definitive yes and the others were more shaky on their responses. I only got one hard no. After having spoken with Conor a couple of weeks ago I was told that no one really wants the community back and that there seems to be no drive for it among the player base. Well I just asked 15 people who I caught to be online at the time from my small friends list of people who I met on ByB and in the majority they agree that they want to see ByB make a comeback. And I'm willing to be there's more across the forum, discord, every where else, etc. So that's proof that contrary to popular belief there is some semblance of people who want to community to make a rise from the dead.

Now I know the argument already as to why things have slowed and why things aren't really progressing. I know that the roots all have lives outside of ByB and they have obligations to those first. Whether that be a job, schooling, families, etc whatever it may be I acknowledge that anything in real life always takes an obligation over a game community. There's nothing that can be done about that. However I do have a solution if people are in agreenence to it.

A couple of months before the community went under, Tony Abbott started up a TTT server under ByB's name. What if we do something similar again. Have some trusted/super or whatever start up a server under ByB's name and just have a root manage it form the backlines or whatever? That could be a compromise to all of this if not everyone has the freetime. There may be other solutions but this is the best one I could think of.

Basically put I love this community. I met so many people here that I would consider life long friends and it was a big part of my life and somewhat shaped who I am today and it pains me to see it go. So I want to give it another shot and try to fix things.

Now I would like to hear everyone else's opinions and trying to stick the live wires up this dead horse to try and get it kicking.

Offline MaraudingCrab

• ByB Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Live Wires for a Dead Community
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 11:18 pm »
I 100% agree and would love to see byb come back to life! Cheers everyone and hope this goes well.

Offline Purdigeh

• Super Admin
  • ByB Champion
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 11:37 pm »
I miss ByB. :'(

I like the idea and if it works it should be fun.

I literally have nothing else to say. Thanks.

Offline Caspari

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:41 pm »
I agree with everyone above. I miss RP'ing with friends.

Offline Rawss

• Super Admin
  • ByB Rookie
  • hello my dudes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 11:48 pm »
I'd love for a new server/ revival of the old one. As I mentioned before the difficult part will be managing the server and trying to keep the feel of ByB the same ( in the sense that it isn't like every other darkrp) as there is a lot of custom content I believe especially from the roots. This could then cause issues further down the line should it be that there isn't anyone able to resolve any bugs/issues with it. However, it might be a nice revamp if it wasn't just the same as it was before, I'd happily support the server and do what I can to assist in anyway possible. 😁

When you nut but she still succ

Offline AdamS

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 12:07 am »
I'd like more rp if we were serious about it and don't half ass things again.

Offline Alex_2259

• ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 01:01 am »
It is worth a try for sure. If we can get it jump started and be a bit more welcoming of new members, I think we can build a solid base.

Offline blastoid

• Supporter
  • ByB Novice
  • She said "whats your number" I said "1-800-HELLNO"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 03:31 am »
Yes I support yes good :)

Offline SilentHippo

• ByB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 04:46 am »
I'd love to see ByB come back either it be TTT or RP (preferably the RP one though :P)

Offline MothaRussia

• ByB Newbie
  • Ya Like Jazz?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 04:55 am »
Yes! ByB is amazing and is a one of a kind server, all these new servers are filled with a bunch of annoying addons and it's just plain out not fun. Also, many of my friends that I used to play with are always asking about ByB and we just hope that it will one day be back.

Offline botherdglobe

• Supporter
  • ByB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 05:23 am »
In a server list of countless dark rp serves with player models with physics  or weapons that blow up the entire world, byb felt like a breath of fresh air from others in the way of simplicity. I would love to go back to the days of the server being full with people raiding rping and generally having fun with a server that wasnt over the top.

Offline BlueNova

• Super Admin
  • ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 05:48 am »
After spending roughly an hour looking at other DarkRP servers I have come to the following conclusion.

The gene pool has been contaminated and we need something that isn't just packed to the brim with nothing but addon after addon. ByB you need to come back pls, I don't wanna be on a server where CS:GO knives are a thing.

Offline Jelman

• Jelmani
  • ByB Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 10:18 am »
Hello,

On mobile at work so this will be quick bullet points.

1. Darkrp is smeged, I've been on enough trash servers to know it's smeged. The players want 1000s of smeg addons that lag the server and it pisses me off.

2. The server with Tony Abbott only happened because I got access to hardware through pantho. I ran the server in terms of config and addons, he managed the player base.

3. We could literally boot rebirth back up right now and people can join but what will happen is that 15 people will mill about fountain trolling and one actual player will join and be trolled to hell.

4. If we do reboot the rules need to be overhauled again and not controlled and overseen by root admins who don't actually play but sit in spawn afk or on an admin roof trolling. I had to push the roots really hard over some of the changes during rebirth because someone implemented smeg rules that pissed everone off and made no sense because they don't actually play.

5. There is also the option of other games with roleplay( me, skytron and some roots experimented with fivem)

Or we can rebirth rebirth and make something that isn't essentially vanilla darkrp. ( Not star wars or military rp, it can smeg off)

That's all I have for now, I'll probably think of some more points later.

His Grace Snoop of House Dogg, first in his name; Kushleesi; The Unblazed; Brother of Green Dragon Sativas; embarks on a quest to reclaim Weedsteros

Offline Loqfrican

• Super Admin
  • ByB Champion
  • Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Loqrin
    • View Profile
    • Loqrin Entertainment
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 04:35 pm »
4. If we do reboot the rules need to be overhauled again and not controlled and overseen by root admins who don't actually play but sit in spawn afk or on an admin roof trolling. I had to push the roots really hard over some of the changes during rebirth because someone implemented smeg rules that pissed everone off and made no sense because they don't actually play.

Lmao I love this point

Honestly, I still love the idea of what DarkRP is, or what it turned out to be. We all know why we love DarkRP so I'm not going to go into the whole lovey-dovey story about DarkRP. I don't think we should deviate from the gamemode itself if we were to setup another Gmod server.

Now the problem with old Rebirth was literally Jew's fourth point. But not only that, the lack of communication that there was between the roots and the community when it came to suggestions. The lack of communication being that, all that was said whenever a suggestion thread popped up was that it'd be "looked into". End of the story, and the suggestion would end up shot dead. Now of course this came about by the roots either too busy or couldn't be arsed to do it, but if the roots don't listen to the community when a suggestion is made and when the vast amount of the community wants the change to be done, then the server is simply going to die.

The addons that were chosen for Rebirth weren't too bad. However, I must say that the choice of the weapon pack was the most smeging horrible choice ever. The whole weapon pack was a piece of steaming smeg and should have been replaced with M9K - I even made a suggestion about it. ByB had a formulae, a recipe, for the servers. A recipe that did draw new players in, but also old players too. It wasn't a slopped together piece of smeg, it was constructed to have structure and decency.

Another major drawback that I heard from just normal, new players, was the fact that the Supers+ were constantly ruining their experience whenever they spawned in something, such as a weapon, and began doing whatever that impacted them. Not so much the admin (or well mod if you still want to call it that) abuse that was done.

If a new Rebirth server is to come up, the rules desperately need a look over by not just one person, but by a few who have different personalities. However, keeping the base rules pretty much the same. I always loved the base rules that ByB had - it allowed for more sensible, "realistic" in a way, creative bases to be built rather than a smeging fence and barrel setup because it's "OP". 

Finally, I think when it comes to suggestions, coding, and all that jazz, it should be handled by some supers who do know how to code in Lua and have experience. Such as BlueNova (xd), I've been watching him get into Lua and GLua, making scripts for his servers to mess about with. This is just to relieve the reliability on roots who are too busy or can't be arsed.

Also, Pantho, stop smeging about with E2 especially when Divran gets concerned and becomes confused to why the smeg you're touching smeg that shouldn't need to be touched. Literally if a new Rebirth is to come: reinstall Wiremod, fresh, and put on the custom functions for E2 and the restrictions for the addon. Then leave it. K.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:37 pm by Loqfrican »

Offline BlueNova

• Super Admin
  • ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 05:32 pm »
Hello,

On mobile at work so this will be quick bullet points.

1. Darkrp is smeged, I've been on enough trash servers to know it's smeged. The players want 1000s of smeg addons that lag the server and it pisses me off.

2. The server with Tony Abbott only happened because I got access to hardware through pantho. I ran the server in terms of config and addons, he managed the player base.

3. We could literally boot rebirth back up right now and people can join but what will happen is that 15 people will mill about fountain trolling and one actual player will join and be trolled to hell.

5. There is also the option of other games with roleplay( me, skytron and some roots experimented with fivem)

Or we can rebirth rebirth and make something that isn't essentially vanilla darkrp. ( Not star wars or military rp, it can smeg off)

That's all I have for now, I'll probably think of some more points later.

1 - I went and saw these servers last night. I think my brain almost failed because of it.

2 - I didn't know but ehh w/e

3 - Well then let's readdress everything that was mentioned here and crack down on players who do nothing but troll newer ones. Tell them to piss off in a sense (maybe that's a bit rude)

4 - Yes, rules need to be totally redone. I'll redo em, ez, (help tho pls)

5 - Yeah I've heard you guys experimenting with things like FiveM but I never heard anything more of it so I assumed that you abandoned that project. The problem with going to a new game is the culture shock for everyone. Here already everyone has Gmod so it's a common medium, shifting to a whole new game entirely could really smeg something up and there aren't too many options. Minecraft gets boring, not everyone likes Rust and that new Eco game you found is pricey for us who are poor and it may take a bit of getting used to.