September 25, 2018, 03:04 am

Author Topic: Limiting Printer Lifespan  (Read 397 times)

Offline Xenvious

• ByB Newbie
    • View Profile
Limiting Printer Lifespan
« on: August 11, 2018, 10:01 pm »
As it stands now, (VIP) Printers don't get removed if you leave the server. From an administrative point of view, this could cause a lot of different issues on the server. This could include smeging the economy senselessly as well as having unneeded entities on the server, which add up after 3-4 days of server uptime and end up causing lag.

With that being said, Server uptime of 96+ hours is destined to cause memory leaks, It's just Garry's Mod, nothing we can do about it right? No, an easy fix for that, restart the server on a timer. (Trust me, nobody will mind.)

Back to the Printers: Printers just simply last too long. As a result, supporters are getting locked out of spawning their printers when they rejoin hours or even days later. I believe it needs to be limited. A simple fix would be any printer not used in say, 30 minutes, catches fire and explodes. This prevents different groups of people finding 40+ printers in a base because whoever had them before didn't blow them up.

Right now, a collection of printers can grow WAY past what it needs to because of this issue. (Proof Below)

While I'm fully in favor of large printer farms, we should go about it in an RP sense than just stumbling upon them. (E.g. Buying & Selling to other players)

Offline AdamS

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
Re: Limiting Printer Lifespan
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 02:04 pm »
Printers should not have a default lifespan but we should approach this in some archaic fashion.
  • Change the printer explode amplifier so more printers together = higher chance of fire/explosion (CARRY THIS TO SUPPORTER PRINTERS TOO) <-  But less than reg tho.
  • Ban Scriptis
  • Have a lifespan based off Player DC.  If the owner left then the printers should start to become "unstable". This would result in a certain detonation around an hour later.
  • Or you know, we can swap to using printers that require ink or fuel. That's a lazy and easy way of approaching this issue.

Offline Lexi

• Supporter
  • ByB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 02:14 pm »
Printers exploding if you leave the server makes good sense. I'll implement that tonight if I remember.

Offline Xenvious

• ByB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 11:02 pm »
Printers exploding if you leave the server makes good sense. I'll implement that tonight if I remember.

After a time right? Because if they blow up on leave, thats kinda smegty for people who DC