August 21, 2019, 08:18 pm

Author Topic: Staff applications?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Marlin

• ByB Newbie
    • View Profile
Staff applications?
« on: April 22, 2017, 12:24 pm »
So im just looking around on the forums and im not seeing a way to apply for staff is the only way u get a staff team is through buying it? if so i think this is a horrible idea why charge the people that are handling your server? a staff team is everything they are what makes a good server a Great server. if i am not seeing the location to apply i apologize but if i am right and u have to pay for it i really think the higher ups need to realize what a staff team really is i have ran many staff teams and just the near thought of all those staff teams having to pay to do work is just SILLY.

AutoMerge: April 22, 2017, 12:29 pm
i just hope some 1 can explain why they thought it was a good idea to sell staff
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:29 pm by Marlin »

Offline DJSexualWonderBread

• ByB Novice
  • Irish Pride American Born
    • View Profile
Re: Staff applications?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 12:58 pm »
Mod isn't really staff

Offline Loqfrican

• Super Admin
  • ByB Champion
  • Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Loqrin
    • View Profile
    • Loqrin Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 01:23 pm »
No, you do not apply for any position in staff on ByB.

As a normal player, you may purchase moderator. This obviously grants you to be a moderator and punish people who break the rules. In order to obtain Admin (formally known as Trusted Admin) or Super Admin you have take the obvious routes: be active, don't be a minge & abuse, know the rules, don't beg or ask for promotion, be known around the community and get to know people and overall be a good moderator (there's no trick or formula to get promoted..). Any Super Admin may start a promotion discussion, with other Super Admins and any other staff member (not being Moderator mind you), on a particular player. The discussion is non-public.

And just have you know, paying for moderator isn't a terrible thing. It provides a broader active amount of moderators to attend to reports; unlike having reports only answered at a specific time because at that specific time is only when there are moderators/staff on. It also provides an income for ByB, to pay for server costs. It's not "SILLY", it's their choice to pay for moderator and help the community and if they do a good job they can be promoted (just an FYI Admin/Trusted Admin and Super Admin do not have to pay, one of the perks of being promoted. So if they really do want to help and be part of the upper staff team, they can push themselves and try to be promoted.)

A bit of background, ByB has been selling moderator for the past 5-7 years? And there hasn't been a problem with it. If a moderator is abusing, simply take a screenshot or video and report them to the Help Desk and it'll be sorted in no time. They'll receive a hefty ban period and depending on the abuse, a minor or major warning will be issued to them. If they have three total active warnings, then they are demoted and blacklisted from purchasing moderator. Now if you don't want to report a moderator because "it's too much effort" or "I'm lazy" then don't complain about any of them abusing/how it's pay 4 moderator.

Hope that clears up things for you Marlin.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:25 pm by Loqfrican »

Offline BlueNova

• Super Admin
  • ByB Fanatic
  • I like smegposting and music.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 02:04 pm »
Mod isn't really staff

Just because they don't have a place on the staff page doesn't necessarily mean they're not staff. They enforce the rules and are a rank with some level of authority with it. Seems like staff to me.

Offline Evilzug

• Supporter
  • ByB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 03:45 pm »
 mods smell

Offline Marlin

• ByB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 02:13 am »
loq i understand and agree with some of what you say but i understand paying for donator but why charge players to be staff they are basically paying you to work for you and improve your servers.

Offline BlueNova

• Super Admin
  • ByB Fanatic
  • I like smegposting and music.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 02:48 am »
loq i understand and agree with some of what you say but i understand paying for donator but why charge players to be staff they are basically paying you to work for you and improve your servers.

Some people buy it for more than being a moderator on the server. Some buy it for noclip while building, some buy it as a layer of protection from rule breakers. While it can be seen as paying for employment it can also be seen as paying for a small sliver of power.

Offline Caspari

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 03:57 am »

Exactly. Trusted + Super admins probably try to improve as many mods as they can, but some fail due to what BlueNova said. They only care for themselves and only focus on the rule breakers that affect them, and not the majority of the server. But I digress.

As for the admin applications, I don't really agree with the entire process of 'trusting someone on what they wrote on an application' while you can visually see how they act as a mod. The cliche of someone writing on their application that they'll 'make the server a better place' or 'I'm capable to take care of the multiple rule breakers' is quite tiring to see. The process current admins go through to choose who is capable to be admin and take care of the server has been fine and no one has complained about it.

Offline Marlin

• ByB Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 04:17 am »
I understand that caspari but the thing is again what blue said most staff handle things involving them i more then often get sits that just never get dealt with and its because why would those staff who payed for their powers waste their time with my issues when they are paying to have theirs resolved i just think if there were people who applied are getting benefits but for those benefits they are in return working for the server i use to be head admin back on a dark rp server and on there we had a minimum of 4 hours a week of on duty admin time requirement for the staff members who had applied to get that rank so they are in turn working for the benefits they are gaining i think something like this could really benefit the server in having a constant active staff team who's essentialy job is to deal with player issues if they want to keep their benefits as a moderator.let me know what you all think about this idea

AutoMerge: April 23, 2017, 06:02 am
(Report) Marlin: 3 people broke nlr and killed me
(OOC) Luna: Im not where i died
(OOC) Marlin: u cant be within voice range of me
(OOC) Fuhggedaboudit: i waited 5 mins thank you
(OOC) Marlin: u waited 5 mins rlly?
(OOC) Fuhggedaboudit: yes sir
(Report) Marlin: admin nlr broken by 3 people

this is just prime example there is like 6 staff on 2 roots 1 super and some mods but no 1 is bothering to help
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 06:02 am by Marlin »

Offline Jelman

• Super Admin
  • ByB Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 10:46 am »
I understand that caspari but the thing is again what blue said most staff handle things involving them i more then often get sits that just never get dealt with and its because why would those staff who payed for their powers waste their time with my issues when they are paying to have theirs resolved i just think if there were people who applied are getting benefits but for those benefits they are in return working for the server i use to be head admin back on a dark rp server and on there we had a minimum of 4 hours a week of on duty admin time requirement for the staff members who had applied to get that rank so they are in turn working for the benefits they are gaining i think something like this could really benefit the server in having a constant active staff team who's essentialy job is to deal with player issues if they want to keep their benefits as a moderator.let me know what you all think about this idea

AutoMerge: April 23, 2017, 06:02 am
(Report) Marlin: 3 people broke nlr and killed me
(OOC) Luna: Im not where i died
(OOC) Marlin: u cant be within voice range of me
(OOC) Fuhggedaboudit: i waited 5 mins thank you
(OOC) Marlin: u waited 5 mins rlly?
(OOC) Fuhggedaboudit: yes sir
(Report) Marlin: admin nlr broken by 3 people

this is just prime example there is like 6 staff on 2 roots 1 super and some mods but no 1 is bothering to help

Mods, unless AOD, do not have to help.

Pantho was probably sleeping.

cant speak for the other root and super tho, would assume they're busy.

Futhermore, people HATE dealing with NLR and RDM claims, especially if there isnt proof past "check logs".

No one i know wants to sit on a roof while two people smeg

His Grace Snoop of House Dogg, first in his name; Kushleesi; The Unblazed; Brother of Green Dragon Sativas; embarks on a quest to reclaim Weedsteros

Offline olicool11

• Root of all Evil
  • ByB Fanatic
  • TEM NAMLEJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 10:55 am »
Firstly, please use full stops or some sort of sentence structure, no personal offense and I'm far from a grammar Nazi but its really awful to read giant text blocks without any punctuation.

The way mod works on here is pretty much, you are not forced to use your moderation powers in the slightest and can choose as and when you want to do so. This will of course result in some people who never bother but your average person that is going to bother paying actually wants to benefit the server because it makes their playtime more enjoyable so will use their power when needed.

Staff such as the Trusted or Super admins have no formal time requirement that they need to put in but generally are probably doing more work on the server than you visibly see. They also are checked up on by higher level admin teams like the root admins and if they aren't seen to be making any input will be demoted from their position. More often than not they are longstanding players who have good knowledge of the rules and are able to help mods etc in admin chat with ongoing situations, or alternately handling situations of a more important nature.

As Jelman said; people tend to be highly reluctant to act on NLR reports as generally speaking there is no evidence on either side and they are highly subjective, the worst you are likely to do is slay the offender anyway.

RDM isnt quite such as problem, you can generally get to the bottom of it and a lot of the time this is where you will see Admins or Superadmins taking the situation but again, these can be highly subjective and take a load of time and admins are still players here to have fun.

Offline Pantho

• Root of all Evil
  • ByB Champion
  • Community Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 11:02 am »
Punctuation is key...

We will never have an apply for staff option. Filtering through power grabbing sicophants would take more time than running the server. Servers cost money, stuff takes time to make and this is a reasonable balance. One we prefer over selling perma-weapons and custom jobs etc.

The current system is not perfect but works and there have been people promoted who never bought anything, just rare as we are not short of staff. So you CAN get onto staff without paying, you can NEVER apply or ask to join, invite only.

-Edit also the 2 roots on where likely AFK, we tend to join for bug solving these days.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 11:04 am by Pantho »