May 25, 2020, 12:23 pm

Author Topic: [Add Rule] Metagaming  (Read 3961 times)

Offline PrecookedEagle

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
[Add Rule] Metagaming
« on: May 24, 2012, 08:16 am »
Type: Add

Info: Currently there are no rules on metagaming at all.

Reason for suggestion: Would be better if there were specific rules about metagaming, what it is exactly, and how to not do it.

Suggestion as to what should be added specifically in the MOTD (What the MOTD should say):

You may not use information gained outside roleplay (e.g in ooc chat, or things you knew in previous lives or while having different jobs) to affect your current roleplaying.

Definition of metagaming: I found these two to be the best

- ''Using ooc (Out Of Character) obtained knowledge ic (In Character) that pertains to other players.''

-It is when a person reads what a character is doing, and thus assumes he knows everything what that character has done- without witnessing any of those events at all because:
A) His character was not there (You didn't see it happen)
B) The action was outside of RP (e.g: in /ooc chat)
C) Following RP, you could not have had knowledge of that action or fact (seeing names above people's heads, seeing their job descriptions, etc. e.g: A gundealer shoots a man which has done nothing against him just because his job states he is a thief, as does his model)

Examples of metagaming:
 - Asking: ''Where is Deon?'' in /ooc chat.
 - Giving away information related to ingame events (moneyprinter locations, guns you sell, etc)
 - Remembering and using passwords to keypads you learned in previous lives or while having a different job, for example, if you were basing with someone as a thief, you may not use the password to go back in as police to destroy their printers. (this also means you cannot go police officer after having been thief to get money for destroying the printers you stole as thief)

Pros: If you implement this, people will have a clearer idea about what exactly is metagaming, and how they can avoid it

Cons: People know and enforce most of these rules, but they are not in the MOTD.

Server specific: Global (except sandbox)

Other info: This is to polish the MOTD a bit more, the more exact info there is, the better.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:16 am by PrecookedEagle »

Offline Angel

• ByB Fanatic
  • moo.
    • View Profile
    • Meh website
Re: [Add Rule] Metagaming
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 08:42 am »
Skype is like infinite metagaming.

We can't really stop people using it is the thing.

Offline PrecookedEagle

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 09:46 am »

Not saying we should... but metagaming should just be added to the rules, because every single admin enforces it.

Offline Angel

• ByB Fanatic
  • moo.
    • View Profile
    • Meh website
Re: Re: [Add Rule] Metagaming
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 11:40 am »
Not saying we should... but metagaming should just be added to the rules, because every single admin enforces it.

Yes, true, i was just pointing out that we can never truly stop all metagaming, steam chat, and skype, and vent will ensure that :P

Offline PrecookedEagle

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 11:44 am »
Yes, true, i was just pointing out that we can never truly stop all metagaming, steam chat, and skype, and vent will ensure that :P
This is not a crusade against metagaming, just a small addition to our awesome MOTD  ;D

Offline -Paul- NL

• ByB Newbie
  • Hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 12:26 pm »
or while having different jobs

Different jobs doesnt mean u have a new life..

Offline Lexi's Inferior

• Super Admin
  • ByB Fanatic
  • I'm back, I guess.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 12:39 pm »
Paul is correct, You dont die when ever you get a new job, you respawn, its a thing to stop people having a Gun shop, it getting raided then them changing while in the shop to SA to kill the raider then back.

Offline PrecookedEagle

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 04:01 pm »
You don't die in most servers, but you do in rp2, and since this is for ALL the servers (except sandbox) I think its still correct.  ;D

Offline Failure

• ByB Fanatic
  • iRIDE 2012 - Make him famous and then kill him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 08:16 pm »
It's basically cleared under the "No using OOC for RP matters". But I think there should be a more in-depth explanation of it, such as the way NLR was handled. (Agreeing with your first post & general idea)

Offline PrecookedEagle

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 09:17 am »
Added a definition of metagaming, feel free to comment  :D

Offline Freddie

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [Add Rule] Metagaming
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 03:40 pm »

People are now saying (and punishing) looking through solid objects. For example, semi transparent doors for homes, apparently, giving someone a warrant because you can see printers through the huge windows is meta gaming. I'm not going to (and havnt) ever warrant/wanted for this, in fear of getting punished.mis this true though? I mean once before, both garage doors where open in the yellow warehouse, yet the gang had a transparent prop over the wall (not invisible) but a cop walked past and threatened to warrant and they all yelled meta game!

Offline Candle

• Supporter
  • ByB Fanatic
  • I run on whiskey and risk and ennui and impatience
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: [Add Rule] Metagaming
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 05:58 pm »
People are now saying (and punishing) looking through solid objects. For example, semi transparent doors for homes, apparently, giving someone a warrant because you can see printers through the huge windows is meta gaming. I'm not going to (and havnt) ever warrant/wanted for this, in fear of getting punished.mis this true though? I mean once before, both garage doors where open in the yellow warehouse, yet the gang had a transparent prop over the wall (not invisible) but a cop walked past and threatened to warrant and they all yelled meta game!

If you can see the illegal entity through their windows, you may warrant since you can obviously see it. If they scream metagaming for it they obviously have no idea what the rule means and are just trying to scare the cops from doing it.
And all the snakes in the grass, they urge you to dance.
"I can hear the harmonics from your voicechanger" - Inventorboy2k14

Its when those burnt black clouds, submerge the earth in shroud
That kings earn that crown.

Offline Moosaphine

• Root of all Evil
  • ByB Champion
  • I am amazing xo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 03:30 pm »
I've always implemented A no Metagaming policy when Im on the servers....
Jamie : Oli we are so having a LAN party soon
... wait, Oli can you get up stairs?
*Facepalm*

Offline Rock'n Roll Glue

• ByB Champion
  • Taking over the world by murdering the innocent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 03:54 pm »
The metagaming rule are implemented with a quick introduction.

The problem is, that it is not defining what metagaming is.

We should have a short area where we define the definition of metagaming in this community, as we have to NLR(New Life Rule), as this rule is rather loose definition, per community.

Offline Evilorber

• ByB Newbie
  • Hehehehehehehehehehehee no
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 04:58 pm »
While I agree with most of this, switching jobs SHOULD NOT be considered NLR. I mean, in real life when I switch from a caretaker to a teacher I wouldn't forget everything I did as a caretaker.
*insert wise qoute here*